I wrote a column two weeks before the 2016 electon entitled "Donald Trump Is An Existential Threat To American Democracy." I not only stand by that claim; I will double down on it. We are well on our way towards autocracy. Donald Trump has launched an unrelenting assault on the institutions that support our democracy, and his fellow Republicans are either looking the other way or they are rooting for democracy's demise. Mike Lee, a Republican Senator from Utah, let the cat out of the bag. He, at least, would not mind seeing our democracy die.
Democracy isn’t the objective; liberty, peace, and prospefity are. We want the human condition to flourish. Rank democracy can thwart that.
— Mike Lee (@SenMikeLee) October 8, 2020
Donald Trump has launched an assault on our democracy on multiple fronts.
- He has politicized the Justice Department to help his friends and attack his enemies.
- He has attacked our courts and judicial system.
- He has attacked the free press and made it more dangerous for reporters to cover him.
- He is a stochiastic terrorist who has endangered the life of Michigan's Governor, Gretchen Whitmer, and others
- He has refused to commit himself to the peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election