I predicted that Donald Trump would be an existential threat to our democracy two weeks before the 2016 election. I stand by that prediction. Even though Trump didn't kill our democracy, he strained its guardrails during his presidency, and he nearly killed it on January 6. We got lucky that day. Had a few people made different decisions, our democracy would likely be dead. But Trump will be more efficient the next time around, and he will be more successful in his endeavor.
Now I will make a new prediction: If Trump is elected in 2024, we will see at least one—and very possibly more—Tiananmen Square-style massacres on U.S. soil. If Republicans win the Senate and the House they will give him more power than any recent president has had. And even if Republicans do not gain control of Congress, Trump can exert awesome power by politicizing his Justice Department to go after his enemies and by abusing executive orders. And if he wants to become an absolute dictator, there's nothing like a good ol' fashion war to consolodate power even further.
I present the evidence and reasoning behind my prediction in five parts.
- Part 1: The Dangers of an Imperial Presidency
- Part 2: Trump Wants To Become A Dictator, And His Thirst For Power Could Lead To Civil War
- Part 3: Project 2025 and Donald Trump's Thirst For Revenge
- Part 4: The Road To Dictatorship Will Be Paved Over The Bodies Of Minorities
- Part 5: There Will Be Blood In The Streets--Tiananmen Square-Style--If Trump Wins In 2024